10 Mistakes Motorists Make That Can Invalidate Insurance
Author: Josh Brian
Drivers all across Britain are costing themselves £114 million a year in claims by making simple and unnecessary mistakes that invalidates their insurance. According to new research by uSwitch, two thirds of drivers are putting their payout at risk by a lack of awareness about actions that could make their policy worthless, meaning you wouldn't receive your payout. The top ten misdemeanours made by motorists include, simple car maintenance, avoided footwear which is regarded as dangerous or inappropriate and ensuring that your doors are locked.
But what are the most common mistakes people are making?
Research conducted by uSwitch shower that 25% of drivers sampled said they've worn either high heels or flip-flops whilst driving, this is deemed dangerous and is the most common error motorists make as an insurer can refuse to payout if you have a crash. A survey of 1,593 UK drivers also found that 24% have left their car unlocked and unattended while 21% haven't had their car serviced to legal requirements, all the more reason why an insurance company could refuse to payout if you are involved in a crash or if your car was stolen.
Below is the list of the top 10 most common simple mistakes that drivers make that can invalidate their insurance:
- Wearing high heels or flip flops while driving - 25% of drivers
- Leaving car unlocked - 24%
- Putting off car maintenance when required - 21%
- Forgetting to renew their car MOT on time - 16%
- Letting pet(s) roam free in the car - 15%
- Lent car to a friend or family member - 14%
- Not updated details after changing jobs - 9%
- Attached fluffy dice, or another object, to rear-view mirror - 9%
- Forgotten to renew tax - 9%
- Underestimated mileage travelled everyday - 8%
Here at Connect we still pride ourselves on our customer service and finding the most competitive quotations, if you would like to speak to one of our advisors about our insurance services then please get in touch on 01782 200 715 or complete any of our online quote forms please click here.